Moderator Control Panel ]

So it's a no to using a sponge?..

If you’re new to the UK Detailers & Valeters Forum, please come and register, You will be joining the friendliest forum in the UK for professional valeters and detailing enthusiasts. Whether you run a valeting or detailing company or your a car care enthusiast UK Detailers & Valeters is the new home of car cleaning enthusiasts in the UK. www.detailingcars.co.uk

So it's a no to using a sponge?..

Postby mikr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi,

Only recently got in to cleaning my car properly (got a new car, Googled 'how to clean my car properly') and well golly have I been doing it wrong! Who would of thought all those car washing kits my mum bought me every Christmas are actually bad for the cars paintwork!

Anyways, I've registered to try and get a handle on the correct procedures, processes and products, because jeez there sure is a lot of them! Any and all advice would be warmly welcomed.

I look forward to reading through the forum and getting to know you all,

Mikr
mikr

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: So it's a no to using a sponge?..

Postby Diablo Detail » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:31 am

Welcome

Mobile Car Valeting in Norfolk from Diablo Detail
Diablo Detail
UKDNV Supporter

Postby Shine My Ride » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm

mikr wrote:Hi,

Only recently got in to cleaning my car properly (got a new car, Googled 'how to clean my car properly') and well golly have I been doing it wrong! Who would of thought all those car washing kits my mum bought me every Christmas are actually bad for the cars paintwork!

Anyways, I've registered to try and get a handle on the correct procedures, processes and products, because jeez there sure is a lot of them! Any and all advice would be warmly welcomed.

Mikr

Hi Mikr

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the dreaded sponge is only good for cutting up to apply tyre dressing. The sponge and the chamois leather are the spawn of Satan, due to the harmful effect on your paintwork when grit gets trapped between them and your pride and joy.

The first things you should invest in are:
• Two buckets, ideally with grit guards
• Washmitts, ideally lambswool.
• Microfibre Drying Towels

Forum supporter DVS Car Care have some very good Car Washing products that you may want to take a look at

We all start somewhere, so feel free to ask any questions, we try and help each other here

Chris
Shine My Ride
UKDNV Supporter

Postby mikr » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks.

Their website looks very reasonably priced. Will definitely be having a look again once I've spent a few weeks looking and reading about various products.

There is so much available that it's almost baffling. It's near impossible to try and get the right kit without some form of guidance.

Shampoo, snow foam, fallout remover, clay, cleanser, compound, polish, glaze, sealant, wax, wheel cleaners, wheel sealants, trim restoration/protection................

It's tiring just writing it let alone researching it.

Would it be cheeky to ask people's recommendations for a 'starter kit' with a budget of £150?
mikr

Postby Diablo Detail » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:52 pm

everyone will have different recommendations
Check out a website called "sample this" they offer alot of much smaller sizes that you can try out without paying out for a full bottle of a product that you then decide you dont like.
but to give you an idea heres some products I personally like:
Shampoos: Autobrite Direct Purple Velvet, Dodo Juice Born to be mild, Car Chem luxury Shampoo
Snow foams: Bilt Hamber Autofoam, KKD Blizzard,
Fallout Removers: Carpro IronX, Autobrite Direct Purple rain 2.0
Clays: Bilt Hamber, Autobrite Direct
wheel cleaners: ValetPro Bilberry, Autosmart Smart wheels

when it comes to compounds/polishes it depends on if your planning on getting into machine polishing or doing it by hand.
sealants and waxs are also very dependant on whether your going for durability as in a long lasting sealant or ceramic coating etc or looks as in a show car wax.

oh and for a wash mitt I highly recommend the Dooka wash mitt best ive used

theres so many manufactures with different products that it can be daunting at first but it wont take you long to catch on to what does what and how to get the best results you can.

Mobile Car Valeting in Norfolk from Diablo Detail
Diablo Detail
UKDNV Supporter

Postby mikr » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 am

Thank you Diablo.

I think I would like to get into machine polishing (da not rotary) and have even contemplated buying a scrap bonnet so I can practice before trying my luck on my car. Any tips on the best way to find swirls on a grey metallic paint?
mikr

Postby Harbour Reflections » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Good lighting will show up the swirls.

Oddly, I did a two day valeting course at Autoglym. Sponges.

I favour a car pro wash mitt. Did get it on a deal though. Very nice. But I am tempted by dooka too.

Autobrite do kits, as do dodo juice, probably others. The Autoglym kits are easy to pick up, I rate a lot of their products, though many poo poo them.

A lot of the fun is in buying and trying. Enjoy your spends
Harbour Reflections
UKDNV Supporter

Postby mikr » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 pm

Harbour Reflections wrote:Good lighting will show up the swirls.

Oddly, I did a two day valeting course at Autoglym. Sponges.

I favour a car pro wash mitt. Did get it on a deal though. Very nice. But I am tempted by dooka too.

Autobrite do kits, as do dodo juice, probably others. The Autoglym kits are easy to pick up, I rate a lot of their products, though many poo poo them.

A lot of the fun is in buying and trying. Enjoy your spends

Yeah I'm enjoying browsing the sites.
mikr

Postby DVS Car Care » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:44 pm

mikr wrote:Thanks.

Their website looks very reasonably priced. Will definitely be having a look again once I've spent a few weeks looking and reading about various products.

There is so much available that it's almost baffling. It's near impossible to try and get the right kit without some form of guidance.

Shampoo, snow foam, fallout remover, clay, cleanser, compound, polish, glaze, sealant, wax, wheel cleaners, wheel sealants, trim restoration/protection................

It's tiring just writing it let alone researching it.

Would it be cheeky to ask people's recommendations for a 'starter kit' with a budget of £150?

Thanks Mike -we stock a wide range of products and brands and will be happy to offer any future advice if required-just let me know
Cheers
Jon
DVS Car Care are a supplier of high quality car care products which are avalible to buy online 24/7. Our ever expanding range of car detailing product brands include Bilt Hamber Products, Dodo Juice, Flexipad polishing & detailing products, Hycote Pro Valet, Little Trees Air Fresheners, Scratch Shield Bucket Filter, Slime Puncture Repair Products, 3M Car Care Products, California Car Duster, Nenette Duster, 303 Car Care Products, Autosol Metal Polish, Dakota Odor Bomb, FICTECH Detailing Products, Forever Car Care Products, Poorboy's World Detailing Products, Rain-X products, Scholl Concepts, SONAX Car Care Products, STONER Car Care Products, ValetPRO car care products, plus our own rage of trade valeting supplies.

Start shopping for your car detailing products.

DVS Car Care Blog.

Like DVS Car Care On Facebook.

Follow DVS Car Care On Twitter
DVS Car Care

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DVS Car Care » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Shine My Ride wrote:
mikr wrote:Hi,

Mikr

Hi Mikr

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the dreaded sponge is only good for cutting up to apply tyre dressing. The sponge and the chamois leather are the spawn of Satan, due to the harmful effect on your paintwork when grit gets trapped between them and your pride and joy.

The first things you should invest in are:
• Two buckets, ideally with grit guards
• Washmitts, ideally lambswool.
• Microfibre Drying Towels

Forum supporter DVS Car Care have some very good Car Washing products that you may want to take a look at

We all start somewhere, so feel free to ask any questions, we try and help each other here

Chris

Thanks Chris-appreciate the recommendation
DVS Car Care are a supplier of high quality car care products which are avalible to buy online 24/7. Our ever expanding range of car detailing product brands include Bilt Hamber Products, Dodo Juice, Flexipad polishing & detailing products, Hycote Pro Valet, Little Trees Air Fresheners, Scratch Shield Bucket Filter, Slime Puncture Repair Products, 3M Car Care Products, California Car Duster, Nenette Duster, 303 Car Care Products, Autosol Metal Polish, Dakota Odor Bomb, FICTECH Detailing Products, Forever Car Care Products, Poorboy's World Detailing Products, Rain-X products, Scholl Concepts, SONAX Car Care Products, STONER Car Care Products, ValetPRO car care products, plus our own rage of trade valeting supplies.

Start shopping for your car detailing products.

DVS Car Care Blog.

Like DVS Car Care On Facebook.

Follow DVS Car Care On Twitter
DVS Car Care

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Just Joined? Introduce Yourself To Fellow UK Detailers & Valeters Forum Members