Moderator Control Panel ]

New business start up questions.

If you’re new to the UK Detailers & Valeters Forum, please come and register, You will be joining the friendliest forum in the UK for professional valeters and detailing enthusiasts. Whether you run a valeting or detailing company or your a car care enthusiast UK Detailers & Valeters is the new home of car cleaning enthusiasts in the UK. www.detailingcars.co.uk

New business start up questions.

Postby Donutman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:07 am

Hi all,

My name is Mark as like many before me I'm just about to start my mobile valeting and detailing business. I've spent the last year researching all aspects of Mobile car valeting and I'm ready to make the jump. I have all the equipment and materials ( taken a lot of info from here) and just about purchase a ready made van. My business plan is set and ad material and funds ready in place. But I still have many questions unanswered.

1. I been valeting friends and family cars for over 3 years but this is not the real world. Do I book myself in for some official training courses or offer my services to a company for couple of weeks to get a real world and dew of what's it all about?

2. Accounting. Is there any accounting systems you guys use to make it as easy and efficient as possible.

3. Payment methods. What do your customers prefer?

4. Running a family . I have put aside enough cash to cover my half of the bills for 6 months baths. My wife's salary would be able to any short fall for the next 6 minutes baths. So my question is how long does it take to start earning enough to live on? My monthly expenses right now is about a grand.

Cheers guys
Donutman

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New business start up questions.

Postby Shine My Ride » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum, hope you find plenty to interest you on here.

1: As you rightly say, valeting friends and family's cars is a different ball game to doing it for a living. If you have any friends in the trade that aren't in your area? If so, ask if you can go and spend a few days working with them. Training courses might give you some tips etc to doing it for your day job. Saying that, I didn't do the courses route.

2: I don't use an accounting system, so others might be better placed to answer this

3: I happily ran cash only for three and a half years without a problem. If it's someone you know enough, you can always offer BACS payment. I do now have a card terminal, a proper one, and quite a few customers use that now.

4: In all honesty, I'd say your looking at 12 months+ before you can start thinking about having enough.

On a personal note, I'm not a fan of the ready made van setups like you see on ebay etc. The vans all look the same. You MUST stand apart from your competition. A catchy name and original logo's etc are very good for catching peoples eye.

Chris
Shine My Ride
UKDNV Supporter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Just Joined? Introduce Yourself To Fellow UK Detailers & Valeters Forum Members