Moderator Control Panel ]

Surface Vs Durability???

Official website of Collinite Corporation-manufacturers of automotive, marine and industrial waxes since 1936. www.dmddetailing.com

Surface Vs Durability???

Postby OttoMotive » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi all,

Would like to discuss durability of a wax/sealant/coating on the basis of the surface to which we apply.
To clarify the emphasis is on the surface not the product. I.e
Uncorrected paint - moderate damage present
Corrected paint - Imagine flawless of defect but orange peel present
Wet sanded paint with no defect what so ever.

Imagine there is no contamination at all. Surface prep would be the same etc etc. Only difference is level of correction or not of the paint.

My thinking is that an LSP will in theory be able to bond better to uncorrected paint as there is all the defects in the paint creating a rough surface for the LSP to bond.
Just like when keying paint lightly or roughing an inner tube before you glue.

And

With a surface that has been wet sanded/ fully corrected then the surface is so smooth (like glass) that there is less ability to bond to this.

I would love to hear your opinions on this.

In the near future I will be conducting an experiment to find out as I am so intrigued so it would be great to hear the views of all of you and then follow up with something a little more conclusive if it yields decent results.

Thanks for your time

Otto
[align=center]OttoMotive Car Detailing & Paint Correction
Mobile Car Detailing | Migliore Approved | Fully Insured
Andover Salisbury Winchester Southampton Portsmouth Basingstoke Newbury Reading Marlborough Swindon
and further upon request

info@ottomotive.co.uk
OttoMotive
UKDNV Supporter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Surface Vs Durability???

Postby Spic & Spanners Valeting » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:43 am

Interesting..

I doubt there will be much in it tbh. As I understand it, no matter how much you polish it, including burnishing it to a flawless finish the surface still has microscopic hills, valleys, pores and fissures for the wax / sealant molecule to mechanically bond to. I'm not sure if the story will be the same for lsp's that use cross linking or chemical bonds.
Spic & Spanners Valeting
UKDNV Supporter

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Shine My Ride » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Yes indeed very interesting.

I think we need our resident product tech in on this...calling Mr PiP...calling Mr PiP...
Shine My Ride
UKDNV Supporter

Postby OttoMotive » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Yes indeed it is interesting I think.

Also there is the consideration that with a nice corrected surface that water behavior such as beading etc will always look better due to the surface smoothness.
While the un-corrected surfaces will not display as good water behavior.

With this is mind it makes the results difficult to test fairly as usually we would judge based on beading etc to confirm if the protection has stood the test of time...
[align=center]OttoMotive Car Detailing & Paint Correction
Mobile Car Detailing | Migliore Approved | Fully Insured
Andover Salisbury Winchester Southampton Portsmouth Basingstoke Newbury Reading Marlborough Swindon
and further upon request

info@ottomotive.co.uk
OttoMotive
UKDNV Supporter

Postby PiP » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:51 am

Sorry!

I doubt there would be much in it either. Certainly with a genuine wax, it won't make any difference as waxes do not bond. Traditional sealant, it is again unlikely to make a difference but this time it is because they will bond to almost anything (which is why you often find sealants will also work on glass and trims). The only concern I would have would be with the more advanced coating type products where you could find that contamination may interfere with the curing process and compromise the finished coating. The surface topography should really have no influence on any of this. From a molecular level, even a 'perfect' panel surface is going to be pretty rough (it is bloody tough to get any surface to be nanometer smooth, even in the lab). The molecules in your LSP will just go up and down with the surface. Think of your car, it has lots of curves and bends but paint sticks to is easily enough - LSPs will behave rather similarly for the smaller surface roughness.
PiP

Return to Car Waxes & Sealants