Moderator Control Panel ]

Detailing brands and 'paid' reviews

Sponsored By www.dmddetailing.co.uk

Detailing brands and 'paid' reviews

Postby PiP » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 am

I am sure that many of you guys saw the following piece of news...

Advertising needs

It immediately jumped to mind that there are comparable practices going on with internet forums and detailing brands. Of course there is nothing concrete out in the public domain, but most of us are only too aware that there is much talk of certain brands giving individuals in the community very strong incentive to be biased. Along the lines of the news story above, this is entirely unacceptable. We have people coming along and telling the community that product A is the best thing since sliced bread when the reality is that they have a vested interest. If it was transparent that people were, effectively, being paid to comment, then I think that we would have a lot more chance for the sector to advance technically, rather than simply being swamped by certain brands, who are willing to throw money at questionable marketing methods.

So beware - this sort of practice has been clearly identified as being unacceptable. Don't do it, don't support brands who need to stoop to that level and don't put yourself at potential risk.
PiP

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Detailing brands and 'paid' reviews

Postby Spic & Spanners Valeting » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 pm

On another forum I frequent (nothing to do with car care) they are very aware of this practice. At the start of any review the person has to state wether the item was purchased with there own money or was sent to them for review for free.

Something I'd like to see more of in the online car care world.

Sent from www.spicandspanners.co.uk using Tapatalk
Spic & Spanners Valeting
UKDNV Supporter

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PiP » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 am

That would, at least, be something. Unfortunately, certainly on the main UK forum, there is no chance of it happening. We are talking about a forum that seems to delete pretty much anything of which their paid sponsors disapprove, to the point that they have actually gone a long way to hide the dishonesty of some brands. What the sponsor wants, the sponsor gets.

I suspect, however, that trading standards may consider that the forum itself, as a paid advertising hub, has a duty to ensure that they are not misleading the unknowing readership.
PiP

Postby Shine My Ride » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:30 pm

It's almost a taboo subject publicly it seems.

There are lots of rumours about who taps up whom, particulary on that other forum. We've all seen what are effectively standard products, through a mix of labelling, marketing, and back-scratching end up being touted as the best thing since the wheel was invented.

I totally agree with the sentiment about more transparency about products. Lets be up front about it all. We've seen others copy us before ;)
Shine My Ride
UKDNV Supporter

Postby G3valeting » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:41 am

Interesting read this , but unfortunately one that has been around for a very long time , and from a personal point of view one i dislike immensely mainly because the fact is some are quite blatantly lying about not only what product x can do and various characteristics it differs from the competitors same but different coloured product, but then get a bunch of other either gullible or greedy (you decide which) fools to overhype/lie about it . There is however a very fine line between marketing your product to the best of its potential to get it out there and downright lying or bribery . Unfortunately as the world cup bidding process proved we can offer you a quality product with great infrastructure while the competitors can offer picasso artworks and shed loads of money ... Which would you go for? Transparency will only work if certain people and or companies have nothing to hide, so i Think for now this problem is unfortunately here to stay.
I get certain products sent to me to try as possibly we all do but i can honestly say that it doesn't muddy the waters of my opinion of it , the early days maybe now i am too long in the tooth to concern myself about it tbh if its good i'll use it if not i wont ... Simple.. No amount of free tools or free products will change that opinion but i am willing to test that method out cough cough ..
G3 Valeting
We are a Fully Insured Professional mobile Car Detailing and Mobile Car Valeting business operating throughout Dorset and surrounding areas.
Mitchell and King approved Detailers

Professional Car Detailing and Car Valeting in these areas-Dorchester-Yeovil-Sherborne-Shaftesbury-Salisbury-Bridport-Crewkerne-Blandford Forum-Middlemarsh-Wareham-Wimborne-Cerne abbas-Weymouth-Dorset-Devon-Cornwall
G3Valeting Twitter
G3Valeting facebook
G3Valeting Ukcvd
G3Valeting google + page
Classic Car Detailing
Convertible Roof Cleaning Services
G3valeting
UKDNV Supporter

Return to General Chat About Detailing, Valeting & Car Care